Today was the Gem State Large Ensemble Festival (or GSLEF as it's affectionately called... just kidding) in Pocatello. We got to perform three of our songs and we did our German one (Still Wie Die Nacht) and Lullaby and There Will Be Rest. Well, I was hoping that we would do well, so it wasn't just like we gave up after tour or whatever, but I didn't want to be disappointed so I kept my expectations kind of low. We heard a lot of really great choirs too, so that made me a little nervous. We warmed up and Mr. Dresen told us the basic stuff, to be expressive but not let go of the technical aspects, etc. Then, we performed. I thought we did fairly well. The clinician/adjudicator lady thought otherwise, however.
She was speechless. She told us that she had taught high school choir years ago, so she knew what she was talking about. She said that she had never heard a high school choir make music like we did. Apparently she had also heard Bonnevaires in the years past, and she told us that we were the best out of all of them. We were put ahead fifteen minutes because she was supposed to work with us for those fifteen, but she had nothing to work on.
So, we went to the sight reading testing room thingy. We had two minutes to study a piece of music individually, then five minutes to practice within our section. We had to sol fege the music (it was one of Bach's choral pieces that he actually wrote for his choirs) and this sight reading lady said we did it perfectly. She also had nothing to work with us on, so instead she had Mr. Dresen conduct it like he would one of our own songs, and then we sang There Will Be Rest for her. She asked us to sing at her funeral if she died before graduation, which was kind of morbidly funny, and also quite the compliment, seeing as she is a music professor of some sort.
Overall, we got 40/40 points from one adjudicator, 39.5/40 from the other, and 18/18 points on our sight singing. Better than I expected. :D
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You rock. I guess all those hours of mr. roboto and Rush pop quizzes served you well!!!
Felicia that is great!! I am so very proud of you :) Soooo what's next, the Nobel Peace prize??? Those talent show judges need their hearing checked for rejecting you and Shay Shay and this just proves it!!! I love you :) :)
Thanks you guys! But remember - there are 41 other amazing singers in there too. ;) Of course, you don't really know them so they probably don't matter too much... haha.
Heck yes they did. I owe all my popular musical knowledge to my father. What can I say? haha :D
Psh..don't you all realize that with her not being home..I have to clean all by myself..Niksters helping occasionaly..but still!
Shayshay
Shay you are a butt! =3 that is a butt! I help lots o times!
cool! can i have your autograph! soon, your going to be more famous than Elvis "hottie" Presly!
Post a Comment