So this week, I had a most excellent time at Girls' Camp! Since we stayed in Utah longer than expected, I only had a day to get ready. :) So all our packing and shopping and devotional-planning was done on Monday, and very early Tuesday morning. But, due to the fact that I was up so late, I woke up very late too. As in, 7:40 when we were supposed to be meeting at the church at 8 and I still had clothes in the dryer (which weren't dry, by the way). But, by some divine intervention miracle I'm sure, we made it on time and with dry clothes. I was really excited because it was Nikki's first year and so she, Shay and I got to go together for the first time! :)
We got to camp and set up all of our stuff. My tent spot had to be moved three times because the ground was too rough in a lot of places, but we finally got perfectly settled. I was a youth leader this year in charge of the third year girls, and so was Noelle, my leader-partner person. The girls in my tent were all such sweethearts - there was Ashlee and her non-member friend Acacia, and Mechelle. We had a lot of fun and laughs.
On the first day, my tent had to clean the bathrooms. Three words: mouse poop everywhere. Gag. We played getting to know you and other games. Then we got our random props for our "American Idol" themed skits. Ours was pretty funny. We had three judges and two performers. Acacia had her pony named Phil (a plastic barbie horse) play fetch. It didn't exactly work too well, and all the judges agreed that Phil was dead. Noelle (who was playing Simon) said that "that horse fetching is like pinecones dancing. It's never going to happen. Ever." Then I performed a song about my frustrations of a single woman with the Mormon version of "Part of Your World." As the song went on, I got more and more angry until finally I caused "bodily harm" to one of the judges. They agreed that I needed a therapist. Badly. :) The gold medal finally went to Phil the dead horse. After the skits, we made pies with bread and pie filling in these sweeto toaster things that you held over the campfire. They were muy delicioso. We went to bed and it was rrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyyy cold. But in the morning it warmed up!
On Wednesday, we went on the hike in the morning and it was a _gorgeous_ view from the top of the hill/mountain (not really sure what it was). When we came back down we played some more games and did certification stuff. Then we had dinner and s'mores and roasted Starburst. Those were also delicious. Then the Youth Leaders went up to a different campsite and we set up our "Scripture Star" activity, where we stood in a circle a little ways from each other and told about a woman in the scriptures that we admired. Then we did "singing in the trees" where a pair or trio of us sang a song. Noelle, Susan and Beth sang I Am A Child of God, RaeAnn and Wendy sang I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus and Shaylyn and I sang Walk Tall, You're a Daughter of God. It was really pretty. Then we went back to the amphitheater by our campsite for a devotional. It was freezing this night too. I wore two sweatshirts and two pairs of socks to try and stay warm.
It didn't exactly work. I was still cold, but it warmed up again. My tent was in charge of cooking on Thursday. I made pancakes. I got pancake batter in my hair (?). So, as someone pointed this out to me, I was like, "I know! I'm a true pancake chef! Eventually I'll have some on my face!" Well, Noelle didn't catch the 'eventually' part, so she dipped her finger in the batter and put it on my cheek. I then modeled my hot spatula (because it had been on the griddle, not so much physical attractiveness) and batter-stained, makeup-less face for the official camp picture taker, Brother Anderson. Then we had a three-activity rotation. My group got to shoot rifles first. I shot a string and cut one of the bottles being used for a target off the thing they were hanging on. I also shot two of three bottlecaps off. Oh yeah, I could give Annie Oakley a run for her money. :D Then we shot bows and arrows. I almost got a bullseye, and I did get a kill shot on a deer target that they had. I learned that if I aimed for the bum of the deer, it would hit it in the kill zone. Unfortunately, I aimed a little too far up and too far to the left, and I shot the ear off the deer. No, really. The guys in charge of the shooting activity (one of our YW leader's husband and his brother) drilled a hole in it, strung it as a necklace and gave it to me as a trophy. I'll post a picture once I get around to taking a picture of it. Or I actually have more modeling pictures of the ear kabob (still stuck to the arrow) that I could get from Brother Anderson. Pretty funny stuff. We then made bracelets and played games. Spaz Uno was probably the best. It was so stinking funny. It's kind of like war where you just lay down cards really fast, but if you get colors matching you have to hit something. Green "grass" = floor, red "heart" = heart, yellow "fever" = forehead, blue "sky" = hand in the air, wild card you have to do all of them. My gosh it was funny. I'm going to have the family play it and video it and post it on youtube sometime. A couple of the girls *cough*SHAYLYN*cough* started a waterfight by filling up little rubber gloves from the bathroom with water and then they dumped them on Sister Whitehead, so she ran and got bowls and dumped them all over the girls, then Brother Anderson got out his supersoaker. I stayed out of it. I hate (with a passion) getting wet. When the water fight was over, it was bishop's night so Bishop Schweider and Brother King (the 1st counselor, bro. anderson's the 2nd) came up and made dutch oven dinners. Then we had an iron rod activity, where we held on to some sort of string and had a leader walk with us, whispering like the Holy Ghost. There were also other leaders yelling or talking loudly, trying to tempt us. When we got to the end, there were little white star boxes on a tree like the Fruit of the Tree of Life, and our bishop was waiting there for us. Then we went back to camp and had testimony meeting. It was a really spiritual night. That night I was smarter: I wore two sweatshirts, three pairs of pants and three pairs of socks. I was very warm. Then in the morning we had donuts that our bishop had brought up. Then we took our tents down, packed up, and did a service project where we gathered up the stray wood from the logging that had recently been done in the area and replacing the shower curtains in the restrooms. Then we went home! So, all in all, it was a great week. :)
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow your version of the week is much different than Shaylyn's! HAHAHA I am glad you had a good time and getting wet once in awhile is a good thing...it keeps you clean. :)
Ok, I like to swim in a real swimming pool and bathe/shower. But not so much participate in water fights.
Hahahahahaha the water war was AMAZING AND SUPERDEEDUPER FUN!
Did you and Shay go to the same camp? I always learn something when I read you blog I never knew that Moose used the bathrooms. Guess they need better aim HA HA HA Come see us soon!!!! We have a real pool and our Moose isn't allowed to use the bathroom lol
I will drive to your house and come and see you myself if necessary the next time we're in utah.
Yes, we went to the same camp. haha
Post a Comment