Saturday, August 23, 2008

First day of school and retreat!

First off, Brenda, I will get pictures of my new hair up here ASAP! :D So, yesterday was my first day of school! Oh yay! :) I actually came on Thursday for freshmen day though, because I'm on the seminary council this year and they asked us to show them around the huge seminary building. Then I had to go in early Friday morning to get a picture taken of all of us on the council so we could be introduced to the rest of the students - not just the freshmen. Then I went to my first class, AP English. My teacher is my same one from last year, and I had a nagging desire to go sit in my old seat, but I changed it up a bit. :) My second class was Bonnevaires. We got started right away in there because we've already been working all summer, but I'll come back to this later. :) At lunch, I got to sit in the unofficial senior section of the commons, which makes one feel big & special. :) After lunch, I have the class of "Office Aid." Basically, I run notes and make copies for the attendance office ladies. It's like being an intern except you get school credit. My last class of the day is Parenting - we get to have the little electronic babies later! :D Shaylyn is in the class with me. That should be... interesting. :) I'm also the only senior in that class.
After school was quite exciting because we had the Bonnevaires Retreat! I had to run home really fast to grab my sleeping bag (unfortunately I forgot pajamas) and then back to the school because we were leaving at 4. We drove up to Kelly Canyon, a ski resort about a half hour away. We played a lot of getting-to-know-you games at the lodge where we stayed. We did some rehearsal stuff, like singing individually for Mr. Dresen (the teacher) so we could be put in our positions in the choir. Then we had spaghetti for dinner. After dinner we sang through and worked on our songs, then we went on a night hike. It was really dark outside and we were blindfolded. We had to hold on to the person in front of us and onto a string and learn to trust them and our leaders to get us through the forest areas safely. We did, but not without me tripping about 20 times over branches and rocks and one GIGANTIC log. Then we went back to the lodge and the student officers did a skit. We played a game called "Hollywood Squares" where an embarrassing story is read about someone and another person has to try to guess who it is. (no you can't hear mine. :P ) After that was done, we ate cookies and went to bed at about 1:30 a.m., then woke up at 6-ish! Then we went on a sunrise hike, and it was FREEZING outside, not even joking. It was still fun though. We went back in and had muffins for breakfast. We played this hilarious game called "Funny Bones." Well, most of us didn't know what it entailed. So one of our 3 sophomore boys, Brendan, asked me to be his partner. The game entailed holding a card between your "nose bone" and their "head bone," or your "knee bone" and their "shin bone." We had those two cards, plus the hand bone connected to the back bone, and the hand bone connected to the shoulder bone. Plus we tried to balance each other (dang hard when your nose and head and shin and knee are touching!) so we looked like we were in a very awkward hug. However, we were the only different-gendered couple, so it was a lot more awkward for my friends Isaac & Preston, and CJ & Matt when they got the "nose bone connected to the nose bone" card. Can you say one slip away from kissing? haha. funny stuff. Then we worked on music more, had lunch (parfaits and bacon and sausage?), and cleaned up. I got to use this freaking awesome vacuum that was like the ghostbuster packs!! I felt so cool. haha it was amazing. We finished everything with our music up, and Mr. Dresen said we made amazing progress for the less than a day we were there (yay!). Then we loaded up the bus and went home!
The end. :)

(p.s. stay tuned for my B-day fun - I've still got 4 more classes to tell you about! (= )

3 comments:

Becky Wertz said...

STORY, STORY, STORY, STORY, ( I am chanting with my arm pumping in the air) so I guess you are going to have to tell it to us.

Felicia and/or Rae said...

Fine, fine. You've probably already heard it anyway. When I was in fifth grade, I locked my knees during our play practice and fainted into the lap of the sixth grader I had a crush on. Then they lectured the whole cast about not locking your knees, and made me an example. :D

Mine wasn't the worst though. One of my friends kicked a rooster that chased him around the yard so many times (he was four) that he killed it. They had chicken for dinner that night.... haha.

grandmacarrie said...

I remember the story but that chicken was the best. Your pictures are so beautiful. The thought of you being a senior makes me sad. I remember your mom bring you home and how cute you was, and still are. Kissing that bum was so fun, and then taking care of you for awhile was so much fun. I am happy you are having such a good time. college will be so different and you won't have mom and dad there to tell you what to do. Or your siblings. Life sure is different but you will have a great time then too. Just enjoy life and let it flow.
Love grandma