Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A rather sad day.

Today I went to one of my friend's funerals. His name was AJ Baird. He was hit and killed by a semi truck in his car early Saturday morning. He just graduated in May, and he was going to go on a mission in February of next year. But he got called home a little early. On Saturday, I was on a date when I found out about it which kind of put a damper on the fun time we were having. Our stake presidency also announced it in Stake Conference on Sunday, and he received an honorary ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood.

AJ was one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and I was devastated to find out he was gone from this Earth. But, the speakers at his funeral really put things in perspective. He won't be gone forever. I'm so grateful for this gospel, and for my testimony in the Atonement and in the Resurrection so that I know we will live again, and that death isn't forever. It makes the separation not necessarily easier, but more bearable.

Even Such Is Time
Even such is time, which takes in trust
Our youth, our joys, and all we have;
And pays us but with age and dust.

Who in the dark and silent grave,
When we have wandered all our ways,
Shuts up the story of our days?

And from which earth and grave and dust,
The Lord shall raise me up, I trust.

-Sir Walter Raleigh

2 comments:

Becky Wertz said...

So sorry about your friend. Good to have the gospel though.

grandmacarrie said...

I am so sorry about Elder Baird. It is so sad to hear of a young person dying and wanting to go on a mission. He just went a little earlier than what was scheduled here on earth. May God bless his family.
You are a awesome friend and your heart is so soft. I love you Felicia,
grandma